Follow Surrey Police

Man jailed for 14 years for Camberley rape

News   •   Mar 08, 2019 13:41 GMT

A remorseless predator who subjected a woman to a horrifying rape has been sentenced to 14 years in prison at Guildford Crown Court today (8 March) with a further two years on licence and placed on the sex offenders register for life.

Floris-Adrian Gherghelau, 25, of Park Road, Camberley, pursued the 18-year-old victim before grabbing her and subjecting her to a prolonged rape in a secluded area of Camberley, shortly before 1am on 1 July 2018.

After the attack, she sought help at a nearby petrol station where staff contacted the police and she was able to provide a full description of the offender.

DNA from the attacker was found on the victim. This forensic evidence meant that, provided a successful match was found, it would positively identify the attacker.

The victim’s description of the offender, coupled with local knowledge from the Safer Neighbourhood Team, led officers to a local address where elimination samples were taken from all the male occupants. Gherghelau proved a positive DNA match and was subsequently arrested.

Despite admitting the attack during his police interview, Gherghelau denied the charges in court but was later found guilty of two counts of rape, two counts of sexual assault and attempted rape following a subsequent trial.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Sergeant Adam Ramiz, said: “Today’s sentence reflects the gravity of this offence and the level of violence used by Gherghelau.

“Despite admitting the attack in interview, he later denied the charges which meant the victim had to re-live the events of her ordeal again in court.

“She showed immense bravery in doing this as she, understandably, didn’t even want to be in the same building as him.

“Her courage has helped not only ensure that this dangerous man is behind bars but also prevented him from subjecting anyone else to the same ordeal.

“Unsurprisingly, this attack had a profound effect on the victim and continues to haunt her to this day. It has been hard for her to even leave the house. Hopefully, the fact that Gherghelau is now in prison will help her begin to put this horrific experience behind her.

“The outcome in court today was also the result of excellent police work by our Sexual Offences Investigation Team, and officers in the Surrey Heath Safer Neighbourhood Team, whose local knowledge of the area proved invaluable as they were able to use the description provided to quickly point us towards where Gherghelau might be living.

“Gherghelau has never shown any remorse for his actions and he deserves to be behind bars for a very long time.”