A man who was found guilty of historic child sex offences in Woking and Pirbright was sentenced to 18 months in prison when he appeared at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday, 4 June.
William Bushby, 83, of Monger’s Lane, Lewes, East Sussex, had been found guilty of eight counts of indecent assault on a child at a previous hearing.
Surrey Police launched an investigation after the victim came forward in 2017 and made an allegation of historic sexual abuse dating back to the late 1970s and early 1980s with the first offence taking place when they were 8 years old.
Bushby was charged with eight counts of indecent assault on a child in 2018.
Speaking after the sentencing, the victim said: “I am delighted with the outcome of this case. Although I am slightly disappointed with the relative leniency of the sentence, it is still a significant result and testimony to the hard work of the Surrey Police Sexual Offences Investigation Team. I hope my experience has shown that no matter how long ago a crime was committed it is still worth coming forward to report it. Truth and justice will find its way out. You will be believed."
Temporary Detective Sergeant Guy Hookway, who investigated the offences, said: “William Bushby groomed the victim and completely abused the position of trust he was in, in order to commit sustained sexual abuse on a child over a number of years.
“I have nothing but praise and respect for the victim who had the courage to give evidence against Bushby in court. I hope that the guilty verdict will allow the victim to put this behind them and finally move on with their life.”
Surrey Police take all allegations of this nature very seriously and if you suspect anyone of committing similar offences, please call us immediately on 101 (or always 999 in an emergency).